- Breads on Oak is baking organic, vegan, non-GMO king cakes this season.They makes traditional cinnamon king cakes as well as cream cheese filled and almond cream filled. They make every king cake from scratch--never a mix--and use only the best organic flours, fillings, sugars, natural colors and other non-GMO, non-dairy (vegan) ingredients. They also make the beautiful layered Galette des Rois (French king cake). Rather than putting plastic babies in their king cakes, Breads on Oak is keeping their cakes all-natural by sticking an almond inside as the special surprise!
- Cake Café & Bakery has a few delicious options to choose from. They have traditional unfilled cakes, regular or raspberry cream cheese filled, and our personal favorite, the apple and goat cheese filled cakes. Indulge in a king cake from Cake Café and continue on through Marigny into the French Quarter to enjoy downtown Carnival festivities!
- Get ready for this one, folks… La Divina Gelateria is serving up nutella kingcakes with salted caramel ribbon. Enough said. Don’t miss out on this unique delicacy this Carnival season.
- The Green Fork, Hollygrove Market & Farm, and the New Orleans Food Co-op are all carrying The PeaceBaker king cake. The PeaceBaker is based out of Metairie and is an all vegan, gluten free bakery. So for all you vegan and gluten free Mardi Gras enthusiasts, fear not! The PeaceBaker has got you covered.
- For all the ladies out there, Hollygrove Market & Farm is selling Gracious Bakery’s queen cake. The queen cake is an unfilled cake flavored with almond paste, topped with a white glaze and purple, green and gold sugar. Enjoy a slice of girl power this Mardi Gras!
During Carnival season, it seems there is a revolving door delivering delectable king cakes straight to our stomachs. This Mardi Gras season, support green businesses as they bake unique and delicious king cakes.