Located in New Orleans’ Mid-City, NOLA Aikido offers training in the Japanese martial art of Aikido. We’re committed to helping every student, from beginner to advanced, learn and grow at their own pace. In time, young and old alike can become more fit, more confident, with a greater sense of well-being. Classes for both adults and children are offered. We are constantly working to make our offerings accessible to anyone and everyone who might be interested and benefit from Aikido practice without discrimination with regards to race, gender, sexual orientation, or income. We are continuing to grow and expand, and we are excited to see what’s next!
1. What are some of your proudest moments as owner/employee of (your company)?
Seeing the ways in which people can come together in joyful community and practice through Aikido. Watching as my students enjoy the practice and each other. Seeing the progress in some of my adult and children students as they breakthrough to each next level of growth in their practice and find resources in themselves to which they did not have as much access previously.
2. How does your organization go about improving your social and environmental impacts?
We work with LifeCity to identify and implement new environmental initiatives such as our introduction of a recycling bin with signage. Socially we work to make Aikido available, even to students who cannot afford the membership through trades. We do community outreach workshops at schools, festivals, and other locations.
3. What partnerships have you formed in order to leverage sustainable impact as a company?
We have partnered with Life City as well as the Friends of the Laffite Greenway.
4. If you had a magic wand to change one thing that would make it easier for your company or other New Orleans businesses to go green, what would that thing be?
I would increase public transportation options in NOLA further. Making it easier to live without driving.
5. What advice would you give to other businesses who are trying to improve their internal practices to benefit their city and state?
Take small, manageable steps consistently. Seek advice from knowledgeable partners such as Life City.
6. Anything else you would like to tell our community of Green Card members and Green Businesses such as upcoming events or promotions they should look out for?
Come try Aikido. It can be a powerful life-changing practice for those for whom it is a good fit. We offer free trial classes as well as introductory memberships.