- This event has passed.
Racial Equity Institute: Groundwater Data Presentation + Happy Hour
September 22, 2017 @ 5:30 pm - 8:30 pmFREE with registration
WORKSHOP AGENDA // FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 22ND
5:30pm-8:30pm: Groundwater Presentation by the Racial Equity Institute
*Light dinner and drinks will be provided.
Foundational Training in Historical and Institutional Racism Summary: In our contemporary society, racism shapes the outcomes of all institutions. It pits entrenched patterns of power against what are often faint images of equity. Yet even those who are concerned about growing achievement gaps, disparities in health and wealth, and the mass incarceration of black and brown people are challenged in their understanding of how racism remains alive and well in all our institutions, advantaging some while harming others.
This workshop helps participants become clear on how race and racism have been constructed in the US and how ideas about racism live in our unconscious minds and social structures even 50 years after the successes of the Civil Rights movement.
This workshop is important for people of color and white people who are committed to eliminating racism. It provides an analysis that helps participants gain clarity about how racism is organized and how to work to disrupt its powerful influence.
- Participants gain an understanding of the imperative of eliminating racism;
- Participants have a better working knowledge of race and racism, its history and legacy today;
- Participants have a common language to assist in having more productive dialogue;
- Participants have an introduction to the ways they have internalized constructed oppression; and
- Participants have knowledge and resources to continue learning.